Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Love Is Like a See-Saw



http://twicsy.com/i/7MSoH
I saw this “cartoon” on Facebook recently. I don’t know where it originally came from, so I can’t give proper credit to the humorist who developed it, but it reminded me of something that happened about 25 years ago. 

My husband and I had just married about two years before this occasion. I certainly didn’t consider myself a newlywed because I’d weathered marital difficulties previously in what I call “my former life,” but it was in something I will never forget.

I worked for a small family-run business. It reminded me of the Ewing family from the old Dallas series. The patriarch had passed away, leaving the matriarch to preside over her three squabbling sons who consistently jockeyed for priority, attention, and authority within the business. Only three of us in the office were not related to the family: the accountant, the receptionist, and me. At least that was the situation at the beginning of this story.

The receptionist was a gorgeous red-haired young woman. I’ll call her Diana (names have been changed to protect the innocent). She was a living doll, but unfortunately not one of the brightest bulbs in the box, as some people say. I quietly marveled each day that she managed to accomplish the simplest tasks. Nevertheless, she was beautiful! That beauty caught the eye of most men who came to the office, but particularly one of the grandsons, heretofore referred to us Rob. He immediately began pursuit. 

It didn’t take much to woo her. He was rich. She was not. She dazzled with her beauty, he dazzled with his wealth. It wasn’t long until they were married. Unlike most newlyweds of the era, they were immediately able to move into a big farmhouse purchased by the family for the freshly-minted couple.

Over lunch on the first day of Diana’s return to work after the honeymoon, she shared with me that the evening before she had prepared everything for Rob’s morning. She pressed his shirt, set out his shoes with appropriately coordinating socks tucked into them, and laid out his wardrobe for the day. She was up at dawn, dressed, and put on full make-up and hair for herself. In his bathroom, she set his toiletries out, conveniently arranged for his convenience, including the dispensing of the appropriate dollop of toothpaste on his toothbrush (lest he have to do it for himself). Then she went downstairs and prepared a massive breakfast for him.


I listened to these details with an escalating sense of alarm, then asked the question for which I needed to know the answer, “What did he do for you?” She was startled by the question and sat quietly and wide-eyed for a few seconds, finally answering “nothing.” She startled pedaling backwards with statements about how happy she was to do everything for him and it was her duty as a wife to do all she could.

Being a wise woman, even 25 years ago, I felt compelled to advise her that this was not a good way to start a marriage. Yes, a marriage is about taking care of each other (the key phrase is “each other”). However, when one partner does all the giving and the other days all the taking, someone spends more time sitting on the downside of the see-saw while someone else spends more time up on top.
Diana listened with closed ears. Of course she was still basking in the glow of new love, wealth, the first real house she ever lived in, and becoming a authentic, diamond-ring wearing wife. On the other hand, Rob knew a good thing when he married it; a young, impressionable lady that he could contour to his own standards of adoring him. He quickly became the king of the marriage. She quickly became the lowly servant.

Just a few months later, Diana failed to show up for work. She absconded during the night with only a suitcase of clothes. It seems that Rob’s demands quickly overshadowed her willingness to serve.

I’m not a marriage expert, that’s for sure. I’ve had my own hits and misses. However, this I do know for sure - marriage is giving and taking, up and down, back and forth, listening and hearing, caring and sharing. Loyalty and devotion need to hang tough through stock market drops, unemployment, illness and injury, demands of children, loss of children, or the inability to have children. Beauty doesn’t guarantee a successful marriage. A big diamond ring doesn’t guarantee a successful marriage. A big wedding doesn’t make a marriage. It takes work.

Back in the 60’s, singer Don Covey had a hit record titled See-Saw. Some of the lyrics go like this “Your love is like a see-saw, baby. First it's up and then it's down.” You must give of yourself when you love someone, but you don’t need to give yourself away. Strive for a balance. Keep the see-saw  level. If each partner in the marriage carries their own weight, the see-saw stays equalized.

My husband’s blessed mother was a beautiful and kind and wise woman. When we told her we were getting married and asked her for wise advice, the only thing she shared with us is “take care of each other.” We have.





No comments:

Post a Comment