Sunday, January 18, 2015

Start Me Up! A Senior's Map to the Technology Fast Lane



My first introduction to computer technology as we know it was around 1987 when the company I worked for installed word processing. As the only clerical person on staff, it was up to me to figure it out. There was no “online” because we weren’t. It was only for creating and storing documents. My scrooge-like boss was skeptical of it all, but when he realized how easy it was for me to edit, print, store, and then retrieve documents, he resigned himself to being OK with the technology.

Flash forward a few years to a new company, and we’re creating a networked database to enhance our record keeping and documents. As one of three staffers designated to get this up and running, I participated in classes to learn data entry. My first class of data entry was daunting. It took me close to 20 minutes to enter my first detailed data file. However, within two weeks, I could enter one complete data file approximately every 12 second.  I guess I’m a quick learner.

Flash forward again, and here we are in 2015. PowerPoint, spreadsheets, Facebooking, emailing, texting, Skype, and blogging; I consider myself proficient, but it was baby steps of accumulated knowledge. I have friends who are dazzled by my computer prowess, but it’s all a learning process. Employment forced me into computer skills, but social networking is a whole other ballgame.

E-mail became particularly important when both of my daughters lived in other states, one in the Midwest, one on the west coast. It was a necessary source for inexpensive communication. Remember, those were the days when we paid dearly for long distance calls. In a blog article I browsed at Age In Place Pros titled 50 Percent of Seniors Are Online and Why You Should Care it is reported from a Pew Research Internet Project that 82% of seniors use the internet on a daily basis, and that 48% of seniors use email every day. The report claims that email is the bedrock of online communications for seniors, with 86% of internet users ages 65 and older using email. 

Facebook came next. I skipped right over MySpace, glad that I didn’t waste my time there. My kids quickly abandoned their MySpace accounts when Facebook swept onto the scene. I got on the Facebook bandwagon because it was an easy way to not only keep in touch with my cousins in California, but to creep on what my kids and grandchildren were doing. All was going well until I chastised my granddaughter on her wall for use of inappropriate language, at which time she slammed the door shut on our Facebook friendship. The good news is she still talks to me in person.

A University of Arizona study finds seniors who use Facebook showed a 25% improvement in mental “updating” skills – essentially improving their memory, and that seniors who surf the internet can reduce depression by 20%. I taught my husband how to use the computer with a book titled Your Never Too Old to learn the Computer, and a series of screen shots with circles and arrows. 

I do have a Twitter account, but have never used it. Perhaps I will soon. I set up an Instagram account, but my oldest daughter promptly criticized me for it. She said I’m too old for an Instagram account. Funny, it didn’t ask my age when I set up the account. I pointed out that Oprah and Madonna both had Instagram accounts and she immediately countered that I am not Oprah or Madonna. I feel like I should insert a frowny-face emoticon here. 

Then there was the cellphone. Seventy percent of seniors own cellphones. I owned the traditional “senior citizen” flip phone for years, coercing my husband to carry one too in case of emergency. With the cellphone in hand, it made it easier to annoy my children and grandchildren by calling them too much. I then switched to texting when I realized that no one would answer the phone when I called, but they would promptly respond to a text sent seconds later. Too busy to talk to mom, but always have time to text. I feel like I should insert a frowny-face emoticon here too. I’ve now accepted texting as part of my daily communication, but found that using the old style flip phone was less than convenient for texting.  Next step up for me was the smart phone. 

I asked for a smart phone two years ago for Christmas, and received a Kitchenaid mixer instead. I asked for a smart phone the next year for Christmas and got a Ninja blender instead. Not that I don’t appreciate either of those gifts (because I wanted both of them), but I was hot on the trail of a smart phone. Thanks to a convenient family-plan offer from one of the major providers, in a phone-upgrading coup, my son got a new iPhone, my husband got a phone with a pop-out QWERTY keyboard to make texting easier,  and I got a mid-range Android-powered smartphone. By the way, my husband claims he hates his new phone, and swears his old flip phone was easier to use. “It’s a learning curve,” I keep telling him. When his contract expires in two years, I’m getting him a Jitterbug from AARP

I love my phone. I’m a Weight Watcher, so I can track my food Points with it, scan food barcodes to automatically calculate, my app enables me to track fluid intake, Map My Run tracks my outings and time on the treadmill, and the Waze app lets me know where the State Police are lurking when I’m traveling. It also keeps my calendar, my contacts, and allows me to voice record my to-do list so I don’t forget anything when running errands. Did I say I love my phone?

Kindle, Kindle Fire, Nook? Many of my friends own these gadgets. According to the Pew study, 11% of seniors own e-readers, and 8% own tablets. My sister loves her Kindle and this Christmas Santa brought her a Kindle Fire. I don’t see an e-reader in my future. I’m a bibliophile by nature, and prefer my reading to come on paper with a nice binding. The smell and feel of a book, the weight in my hand is all part of the joy of reading.

In the Boomer Babes Lifestyle survey, only one of the respondents out of 140 reported not using the internet. Apparently someone in her family “hooked her up” to answer the survey. So it does my heart good to know you wise women are keeping up with keeping up. 

For me, I’m glad to be connected. If I weren’t, I wouldn’t be friends with many of you, and you wouldn’t be able to read this. In the meantime, if you want to call me, I will answer the phone. Drop me an email and I’ll get back to you. If you want to text me, I will text back. Want to friend me on Facebook? I’ll friend you back. Want to comment on this blog? I’ll respond. I’ll communicate in just about any format. Just don’t try to Tweet me. Remember, I’ve got the account, but don’t use it. Oh, and I’m not Oprah, so I’m not using my Instagram account either. 

If you know someone who may enjoy this article, please forward to them. They and you are welcome to join the conversation at wisewomenofage.blogspot.com . You can also enter your email address above and you will receive an email each time I post a new topic on this blog.

 Through compassion, you will find that all human beings are just like you. - Dalai Lama







No comments:

Post a Comment