Thursday, December 18, 2014

I Want, I Wish



Being a wise woman of age carries some responsibilities with it. We’ve seen many things in our lives and learned many lessons. When we see an opportunity to serve as a role model for younger women, we need to seize it. That brings me to the following thoughts.

While watching the news one morning this week, I became acutely aware of how many reports weren’t really news stories. Many of the features were “do-gooder” stories about various groups, organizations, or people that are helping or being helped in this Christmas season. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. However, I wondered out loud to my husband where all this help is the rest of the year? People need help every day in every way. Not just in December. 

Do I sound like a grumpy old lady? Perhaps; but just hear me out. There’s a little more to the story.

Later that same day, while browsing Facebook posts, I saw this “I Want” list posted. The words brought me back to a hard time in my life.

As a single mother of three kids, struggle is what we did every day. One of my daughters joked that the only meat we ever had in our house was Bacon Bits. We all laughed, but it wasn’t really funny. I recall a particular Thanksgiving when I had nothing to put together that traditional meal for my kids, so I farmed them out to friends for the day so that they could have that meal. Of course, I sat home alone, feeling sorry for myself. Tearfully feeling sorry for myself, I must say.

Life goes on, and things do get better. Through those difficult years, “keeping the faith” was my mantra. For each day that was bad, I hoped the next day would be better. Sometimes it was, sometimes not. One of the things I learned for sure is that being poor makes you humble. I never forgot the lean times. Until you’ve been there, you can’t really appreciate it. My neighbors at the time would never have guessed how desperately poor I was because I was too proud to ask for help. Do you think you have someone in your neighborhood that might be living in “closet” poverty?

My life has come full circle. We are not rich, but we are blessed. For those who know me and think I do too much outreach work, it’s because of those lean years when I could barely help myself that I reach out to help others. Each Sunday when we recite the prayer of confession, we ask forgiveness “for what we have done, and by what we have left undone.” My heart never wants to leave anything undone.

A beloved friend of mine, the Rev. Boyd Edmondson and his wife Shirley just returned from a six-month mission experience in Rwanda. Boyd did a great job of faithfully posting their experiences every day. He saw first-hand the richness and reward of serving others. In one of his posts shortly before their return home, he wrote, “God doesn't force us to do His work, but rather asks us first. We are often troubled when God asks something of us, thinking of many reasons why He should have chosen someone else. But God promises to be with us and to help us. If we say, "Yes,” to God we get to see miracles happen. If we say, "No,” then God will respect our decision but we will not know the adventure of serving God."

My first calling wasn’t something easy, but to the adventure of mission in genocide-torn Rwanda. I was 56 years old then, so if you think I may have been frightened, you would be correct; but that is where faith comes in. God asked me to go and I did. He promised to help me on the way, and he did. I have seen the miracles that can take place because I said “yes” instead of “no” to the adventure. 

My faith has taken me around the world and back. I try to do something every day for someone else. It could be something as simple as dropping a dollar in the Salvation Army kettle or being nice to a cashier that looks like it’s been a tough day. It could also be finding a new bed for someone, or serving a meal to 100 people. 

Big or small, extravagant or simple, what can you do to help? All you have to do is look around. A child certainly wants and enjoys toys and Christmas; but we should remember the child more often than December 1 to December 25th. Do you see where all this is going?

My Christmas wish is to see the fulfillment of the last line of that “I Want” list that says “Most of all, I would like to see people start to care for each other.” I’m offering all of you wise women the gift of opportunity to accept the challenge to answer all the “I wants.” If we all gave much, not just at Christmas time, but every day of the year, we might be able to check some of those wants off the list. In this me, me, me, and hurry-up world, take just a minute and say “yes.” 

If you like what you have read here, please share it onward to your friends. You can be the voice of our generation of wise women mentoring the next generation of wise women. 

I wish you all a blessed and joyous Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment