Saturday, December 6, 2014

Welcome to the Conversation!



This is the year I turned 65. For the third and final time, I retired. 

Never one to sit around twiddling my thumbs, I started writing. Originally, I began research to write a fictionalized story of my mother’s difficult life. However, on the way to that story, I wrote an essay titled “65 is the New 45” as part of my writing class. You can read that essay below, posted on November 30th.  

Through that essay, another door has opened for me, as I’ve been encouraged to turn this essay into a book.  To that end, at the suggestion of some writing mentors, I posted the Boomer Babes Lifestyle Survey a few months ago. With the help of my friends, I cast a wide web. One hundred and thirty women answered the Survey to date. Of those 138, more than 30 opted to be available for personal interviews. Each interview generated reflection and soul-searching. Many had tearful moments as we shared our life experiences and joys.

This is an exciting and eye-opening endeavor. The more I build this project, the more I believe many women would enjoy coming along for the ride. 

With this blog, I’m offering all of you Wise Women of Age, to join the conversation. Each week, I’ll open up a subject and we can share our thoughts and opinions with one another. I’ll also be imparting stories appropriate for the week’s subject from the women interviewed as we go along.  For those of you who have interviewed, let’s see if you recognize yourself! 

In Rwanda, citizens honor, respect, and refer to elders as the “Gray Hairs” (literally). So come on, all you Gray Hairs, all you Wise Women. We have so much that we know and we shouldn’t keep it to ourselves. Chime in and comment, tell your friends. Let’s move through the next chapter of our lives together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment