Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Color of Christmas: Elvis or Bing?



Cigarette smoke floats in front of the viewfinder as the movie camera records my three children entering the living room to see what Santa has left under the tree for them. My grade-school daughters are in the flannel granny gowns, gifts from me they opened the night before. My toddler son is in a yellow footed sleeper. Despite the feet in his jammies, he excitedly pulls on the cowboy boots that are under the tree for him, and begins kicking his sisters with them. The camera pans the room, and there is my mother, cigarette in hand, with a big smile on her face, watching the grandchildren she adores. There’s my dad wearing his typical flannel shirt with pipe clenched between his teeth. He’s smiling too. My husband (at the time) is silently admonishing the son for kicking, and pointing here and there around the room. It’s a wordless scene because our movie camera didn’t record sound. It appears that most everyone was enjoying that Christmas morning.

It was the mid-seventies and that was our Christmas. We all smoked back then. If camcorders existed then, we didn’t own one. We just had our old movie camera. It never occurred to me as I was filming the scene that morning that within five years both of my parents and marriage would all be deceased. The film would be my only “moving” memory of my parents.

With my divorce began our tradition of having fractured family Christmases. Back then and even now, schedules require juggling because of parents/step-parents visitation arrangements. Holidays were tough then. Money was tight. My parents were gone. I spent time wringing my hands, feeling sorry for myself, and bemoaning my life. Elvis cut my heart out each time he sang about “blue Christmas.” 

It’s the next millennium. The Christmas promotion season begins before the Thanksgiving turkey is on the table. For some of our wise women, the 3 “D”s (death, divorce, distance) and family estrangements will make the long Christmas season not so merry and bright. 

Looking over the statistics collected and notes from the private interviews of the Boomer Babes Survey, 65% of respondents have lost their parents. If you shared holiday traditions with your parents, it will seem particularly difficult. What do you do now? According to *ComfortKeepers, “knowing what to do about family traditions is one of the hardest things people face after the death of a loved one. Don't be afraid to tell family members that certain traditions will be too hard. Plan to do only what is special and meaningful to you. Most people experiencing grief during the holidays do find creating some new tradition to honor a loved one helps.” 

Losses through death are devastating, but particularly when children are involved. Six percent of those who answered the survey have lost children. A few have shared their personal stories. 

Gayle has lost two sons and a stepson. She grieves them all every day. A second particularly touching story is that of Rose. I’ve mentioned her in another blog posts because her story is so remarkable. Like the biblical Job, Rose suffered loss after loss. Within six months of each other, Rose lost her mother, her only son, and her husband. It is a heart-breaking burden to tolerate, but Rose soldiers on with support of friends, and the love of her daughter and grandchildren. I stand in awe of her grace and her faith.

Marital status can color your Christmas too. Divorce has claimed 13% of those who answered; separation claims 1%; widowhood accounts for 8%; and 6% are single, and never been married. 

Family estrangements add a whole other dimension to holidays as empty chairs speak loudly for the person who isn’t there, and loyalties divide family members.

Geographical obstacles coupled with a tight economy and high traveling costs can cut family members out of holiday celebrations too.

My first “divorced” Christmas alone with no spouse or parents presented its own challenges as I struggled alone to bring a live tree up three flights of steps to my apartment. I never knew Christmas trees were so unwieldy. My ex-husband was always responsible for the tree. For some reason, I felt it was particularly important that year to have a live tree. I suppose I was trying to maintain the live-tree tradition for the sake of the kids. I sat alone in the glow of the tree’s lights that Christmas Eve slugging down hot chocolate laced with amaretto while the kids were visiting their father’s family. Yes, you can add “loneliness” to the list. 

If you are one of the wise women that fit into the statistics covered here, please know that I don’t want to be a “downer.” None of us can ever say “we know how you feel,” because everyone feels something different. Some people find that simply accepting the fact that the holiday season will be hard and painful provides more strength to cope. By being one of our “wise women,” I assure you a sorority surrounds you that are here to comfort and care for you. 

Here are a few suggestions for changing your Christmas from blue to white:

  •  Lower your expectations of the holiday season.
  • If death caused the absence of your loved one, develop a way to honor that person over the holiday.        
  • Accept that there will be emotional triggers and decide ahead of time how you’ll deal with them.
  • Make new traditions or revise the old ones. 
  • You may be lonely, but don’t be alone. Make plans. Find ways to fill the most stressful times like Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. 
  •  Attend worship services. You may find comfort there. 
  •  Stay connected with friends. Grief and loneliness can drive us into isolation.

·         Losses are a part of life. Those of us who have lost loved ones or must experience the holidays alone will have no choice but to experience and express sadness this holiday season. But I want to share how our wise women answered question #30 during their personal interviews. When asked, “How much control do you have over the bad or unpleasant things that happen to you,” many responded similarly by saying that you cannot control what happens, but you can control how you react to bad things. That response strikes me as especially wise. If I had known then what I know now, I could have/would have reacted differently. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. 

You can honor your grief and loss with dignity and grace, and still have a blessed Christmas holiday. So please don’t let Elvis drag you down with his blue Christmas. Let Bing Crosby whistle his way into your holiday so that your days may be merry and bright, and all your Christmases be white.

If you know someone who may benefit from this article, please forward to them. They and you are welcome to join the conversation at wisewomenofage.blogspot.com

*http://www.comfortkeepers.com - Seniors And Grief Coping With Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment