Thursday, February 19, 2015

Through a Mother's Eyes



Here we are again in the season of Lent. For me, this is the most meaningful season of the Christian calendar. I fully embrace the Christian rituals that are part of the celebration of the resurrection. 


This past Tuesday, we had the traditional fare for our household for Fat Tuesday by pounding down as many pancakes as we could comfortably hold. The feasting is typical in preparation for the 40 days of Lent, a time when we do penance for the forty days that Jesus fasted in the wilderness. My greatest indulgence is the daily consumption of at least one kolache (little Czech pastries). My Lenten sacrifice usually means foregoing kolaches during the Lenten season.


For the first day of Lent,  I took part in an Ash Wednesday service that included participation in preparation for Communion by reciting the litany that includes a declaration of the mystery of faith, “Christ has died; Christ is risen; Christ will come again.”

Truthfully, despite the best efforts of my pastor to engage and teach us with a meaningful sermon, my mind was wandering during the service. I started thinking about the crucifixion and the memorable movie, The Passion of Christ. A heartbreaking scene takes place in that movie when Jesus is carrying the cross through the streets. Jesus’ mother and Mary Magdalen are following on a parallel street trying to keep him in their line of vision as he plods through the jeering crowds. In one moment, in the center of an intersection, Jesus falls. As he rests for a moment in the street to gather his energy to rise again, Mother Mary catches his eye. The silent sharing of love that passes between the eyes of the mother and the eyes of her son will rip sobs from your throat. I guarantee. The love of the mother and the son is palpable.


“When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth.” Mitch Albom wrote this line in his best seller, For One More Day, a story of a mother and a son, which asks you to think about what would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one? I wonder, do you think Jesus saw that pure mother love in that fleeting moment in his final hours?


In the Boomer Babes Lifestyle Survey that I authored last year, 84% of respondents indicated they were mothers. My guess is that they have had their hearts wrenched sometime in life when they saw their child bullied, lose their job, experience a failed relationship, or deal with financial, drug or alcohol issues.


 My own son is one I would not hesitate to label as a rascal when he was little. Without a doubt, he was a handful and a challenge. As his mother, I have watched his struggles in life, trying to guide and support without suffocating. Even though he’s close to being a middle-aged adult, he’s still my baby boy. When he is sick, or having bad times, or maybe suffering from a broken heart, I can easily be brought to tears of anguish just for the want of being able to help him. Would I tell him that? No. I think because he is older, I don’t want to seem like I am interfering. I try to walk the walk of a wise woman. What mother can’t relate?


When I watch that scene from the movie, I wonder how I would feel if that were my son? Mother Mary lived knowing that someday her son would fulfill the prophecy for which he was destined. She knew of God’s plan for Jesus and for us. Just because she was part of the holy circle of beings that surrounded Jesus, she was still a mortal mother. 


The mother’s eyes of Mary saw him grow up and away from her. She watched him become a superhero in their world, and then witnessed him tumble and fall from grace, a victim of those who felt threatened by him. Just like any mother, she suffered unbearable anguish for her son. Helplessly, she couldn’t change the course of his destiny. Through it all, she was a mother in the simplest, purest form, just like you and me. Through it all, she stood by his side, watching as the world betrayed and crucified him. In the end, John 19:25 (NIV) says, “Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother…”


Just as Mary’s heart ached for her son, our hearts ache as we watch our children struggle. Through our own eyes as mothers, we mourn collectively for the mothers who have lost their children through death or some form of alienation. Our anguish is just as deep. 

Of course, we all know how the story ends. Helen Steiner Rice is quoted as saying, “A mother’s love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking, it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking.”


In the Boomer Babes Lifestyle Survey, I asked the question, “On a scale of 1-10, how important is faith in your life?” A full 94% rated their faith at a 5 or above. Out of the 94% who rated faith as important, 46% percent of those faith responders indicated the importance of faith in their lives with a score of 9 or 10. 


Lent is a time for sacrifice, but also for a time of renewal and rebirth. Perhaps, as mothers, we can use this beautiful holy Lenten season to affirm our love to our families. Perhaps, as mothers who quietly suffer and yearn for peace and a good life for our children, we can remember what scripture tells us in Isaiah 66:13, when the Lord reminds us, “As a mother comforts her son, I will comfort you.”


I would like to suggest since we are at the beginning of the 40 days of reflection, that you rent, download, or replay The Passion of Christ. Yes, it is the story of Jesus. However, it is also the story of his mother and those who loved him intimately. Whether it’s the first time or a repeat viewing for you, I ask you to put yourself in Mary’s place… through a mother’s eyes.


Blessings.


If you know of anyone who might benefit or enjoy this article, please forward the link or email to them. Thank you for joining us a wisewomenofage.blogspot.com



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful blog post for the Lenten season but for any time of year for mother's and also their children. Thanks for posting.

    Joanne Quinn-Smith
    Publisher http://pplmag.com and host of PositivelyPittsburghLive #Podcast

    ReplyDelete